Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dual Daily Five - I PICK en Español

I love the Daily Five! Seriously, I thought it was some sort of weird education-bandwagon everyone was jumping on originally, but I'm finishing up Gail & Joan's book and everything makes sooooo much sense. Now a fourth year teacher, I have enough time under my belt to see what things I've been doing that work and what don't. Reading "The Daily Five," I totally relate to The Sisters and the struggles they've had in their classrooms. I cannot wait to get the Daily Five going in my room this fall! (Ok, let's be honest, I can wait - don't rush summer!)

As I'm sure you're all aware, Daily Five is a huge hit, and there are tons of amazing resources out there already. I don't know where the hours last night went as I was busy on Teaching Blog Addict's Daily Five and CAFE pages looking through all the resources. I'm nowhere near done exploring! As always is the case with me, my only difficulty with the Daily Five is the lack of a Spanish component. The Sisters' system utilizes so many acronyms and exclusively English terminology, that I know I'm going to have to do some tweaking to make it work. I figured I'd start at the beginning and tackle the I PICK method and song. So here's what I have created so far for Spanish I PICK. Enjoy! And please give me any feedback you have :) Thanks lovelies!

Spanish I PICK Lesson Plan
This is the lesson plan I used this past year when I tried out the I PICK method of choosing a good book with my students. This may get an overhaul this fall when I implement the whole Daily Five, but this past year I taught it in two days. You can take as much or as little time as you'd like to do each section. To download it from my TPT store, just click the link below the photo.

Choosing the Right Book Poster
I also created this poster (based off an English version...can't remember where it was from) to hang in my reading center. This way the students can remember the steps to the Five Finger Rule as they search for new books. It also matches my classroom owl theme!

I PICK Pocket Chart Cards
Next I made pocket chart cards with my Spanish I PICK translation. I put each card and letter up one at a time as I taught the component of I PICK. Then, after we had learned about I PICK, I hung the pocket chart on a bulletin board in our reading center where students could refer back to it. 














I PICK Review Worksheet
Finally, I made up a review worksheet that addressed all the components of my lesson. I will admit that parts of this worksheet were hard for my littler guys to do independently, but I think I'll use it again this year as a small group review packet. I hope you enjoy it along with the rest of my Spanish Daily Five resources. I promise there will be more to come!

16 comments:

  1. Thank You so much I teach bilingual second in Chicago and have been trying for years to fit the Daily 5 into my class. This will help so much. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!!!! I am so excited to share these resources with other bilingual/dual teachers over at I Teach Dual Language. I have a post coming up next week about Daily Five in Spanish as well and it includes some photos I took in a bilingual Kinder classroom where the teacher had just begun implementing Daily 5. Great job on these resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Candis for sharing this blog with me. Super cute blog! I almost went with Owls for my theme next year :)
    ☼Libby
    First Grade Dual

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you still kept the acronym IPICK, even when translating it to Spanish. I couldn't think of how to do that, wish I had seen your blog years ago! ;)
    I'm your newest follower!

    Stephanie
    Maestra Bilingue

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I woke up super early this morning on purpose to start the task of transferring all I've learned about the D5 to Spanish! I am a bilingual second grade teacher in San Antonio and after a little searching, I found you! Woo hoo. Thank you so much for posting this; now I know I'm not alone in my endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this! I am happy I found your blog through I Teach Dual Language! I have taught for four years but this will be my first year in a bilingual classroom. There isn't much out there for teachers like us, especially with Daily 5. I have created some Daily 5 and CAFE freebies if you want to check them out.

    Judy

    ♥Teaching Little Apples♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I've been looking for a translation to IPICK! I teach 1st grade in a Dual Language classroom and will be starting the Daily 5 this year! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your IPICK. I had a rough time translating it...I didn't want to say " I pick". I wanted to use "Yo escojo". I'll have to go back and revisit that next year. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this! I do have one question-where is the I PICK song in Spanish? I'm sure it's really obvious, but I can't find it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turns out I had forgotten to add the song! I have put it in my TPT store as a freebie. Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today indian share market is so fluctuating that it is very hard to work & earn money but some

    companies giving really very good calls so that we can earn in this Share market. PowerofTrading.com is one of them. They are giving

    regular 5-7 calls with more than 98% accuracy. Go for Free Share Market Tips

    Regards
    POWEROFTRADING TEAM

    You can go for Bux Website to start earning money visit Ninja Bux -
    Earn Money through Bux Website

    You can use the full Guide which guide you all - Neobux Guide

    ReplyDelete